Tuesday, March 31, 2009

How To Use Web 2.0 For Grocery Retailers?

I'd like to share with you my thoughts I am working on a project for a grocery retailer. We all know that grocery retailers count among the biggest spenders in terms of advertising. They mainly use printed supports like mails, but also TV advertising (for branding purposes). However, they are struggling to innovate on the web.

We all know the great potential of web 2.0, in terms of community creation and communication. But success stories using web 2.0 most of the time are based on products that customers have a lot of affection with (cars, music and so on). Therefore I am wondering how a grocery retailer could use all these new web 2.0 tools to promote its business. Which message to use? How to get people involved.

I believe involving people might be the biggest issue. There are still some examples of tries, but I don't see clearly yet how to use all of that.

I'll try to share with you my thoughts, and define a model on how to use web 2.0 for grocery retailers.