Thursday, March 27, 2008

Is Champagne a brand? Does Champagne equal sparkling wine? (2)

My Friend Steve Leung had a very interesting point about my story on the Champagne brand, and I wanted to share it with you.
Steve's idea
"Do you think Champagne is to sparkling wine like Xerox was to copies, or Kleenex to tissues?"

My opinion
"I think Steve this is a little bit more complicated. In a way yes: Champagne has been the first producer of sparkling wine, and establish a strong notoriety. I admit that some customers says I want a cup of champagne as they would say I have an Ipod if they own a Zune.

But Xerox and Kleenex are corporate brands, and that is why the concept of Champagne as a brand is quite different. You can have bad sparkling wine from Champagne. However, because of its origin, you are more likely to find a good wine there than in other part of the world. Because Champagne is not a corporate brand, it is hard to protect.

Also the other problem is a customer can say I would like to have some Wall Mart Kleenex or a color Xerox, that is fine. The brand is so strong that for the customer every photocopier is a Xerox. But the problem is using the label "Champagne" on a wine not produced in Champagne. This would be the same if Microsoft would use the Apple logo to to sell its Zunes (which is not likely to happen though)."

Therefore I would say yes on a customer mind prospective, as they identify sparkling wine with Champagne. But it is different as Champagne is not a true corporate brand, which is the reason why it is en danger.
Blogged with the Flock Browser

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7:56 AM

    Prefer to shop at Laithwaites for tasty wines....!

    ReplyDelete