Promotion is one of the most powerful tools to grow a category. But promotion may have different prospectives:
- For retailers the main priority at the time is to grow markeshare, for the shopper to get the products at their place instead of the competition.
- For suppliers, mostly, it is to grow their volumes at specific occasions.
- It could also be to promote innovation, by cutting down the threshold of price for example.
- It could be to reward loyal customers.
But in a category management prospective, I believe that there is most of the time very few initiative on the retailer side.
I found this promotion in a Carrefour flyer. I find it very interesting. Indeed:
- You have tips and advices on how to use the products.
- You have the right promotions that fit the cocktail proposal.
- The products are owned by different suppliers. And that is what I like: The retailer take the initiative to grow the category by being the leader of the initiative.
Some good food for thoughts.