Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Loyalty cards in the US and France


I have seen a very subtile but important difference between loyalty cards in France and in the US as I was shopping in a Macy's close to where I leave. Thus, they proposed me to get a Macy's card, which is free, but not a credit card. However, they asked us our bank credit card to get the account information.

Indeed, with this system, they take your informatino because you have to pay your purchases at the end of the moth. Thus, it is not a credit card because you don't pay with a real credit card, but how ever the use is very lose because at the end of the month you will receive a bill to pay for your monthly purchases.

This is very strange for a French person like me who is not familiar with the system. And what is surprising, it is that most of the stores use the same kind of cards. That means you can't really follow your bank account, because whatever you will buy with those cards, you will have to pay them at the end of the month.

It is also something very important by the way to get some credit cards, because it will allow you to have a credit history, and then offer you the possibility to get loans for your houses. Those credit cards and how you are able to manage them gives important information to banks and your solvability.


I don't really like this system, because I like to get up to date my bank information to decide of my purchases. However, in the country of the credit card, it has become a standard.

No comments:

Post a Comment